Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/2] Fix 10G PHY interface types

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 11:51:25 +0000

Recent discussion has revealed that our current usage of the 10GKR
phy_interface_t is not correct. This is based on a misunderstanding
caused in part by the various specifications being difficult to
obtain. Now that a better understanding has been reached, we ought
to correct this.

This series introduce PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_10GBASER to replace the
existing usage of 10GKR mode, and document their differences in the
phylib documentation. Then switch PHY, SFP/phylink, the Marvell
PP2 network driver, and its associated comphy driver over to use
the correct interface mode. None of the existing platform usage
was actually using 10GBASE-KR.

In order to maintain compatibility with existing DT files, arrange
for the Marvell PP2 driver to rewrite the phy interface mode; this
allows other drivers to adopt correct behaviour w.r.t whether the
10G connection conforms to the backplane 10GBASE-KR protocol vs
normal 10GBASE-R protocol.

After applying these locally to net-next I've validated that the
only places which mention the old PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_10GKR
definition are:

Documentation/networking/phy.rst:``PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_10GKR``
drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvpp2/mvpp2_main.c:        if (phy_mode == PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_10GKR)
drivers/net/phy/aquantia_main.c:                phydev->interface = PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_10GKR;
drivers/net/phy/aquantia_main.c:            phydev->interface != PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_10GKR &&
include/linux/phy.h:    PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_10GKR,
include/linux/phy.h:    case PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_10GKR:

which is as expected.  The only users of "10gbase-kr" in DT are:

arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/armada-7040-db.dts: phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";
arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/armada-8040-clearfog-gt-8k.dts:     phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";
arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/armada-8040-db.dts: phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";
arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/armada-8040-db.dts: phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";
arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/armada-8040-mcbin-singleshot.dts:   phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";
arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/armada-8040-mcbin-singleshot.dts:   phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";
arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/armada-8040-mcbin.dts:      phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/armada-8040-mcbin.dts:      phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/cn9130-db.dts:      phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";
arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/cn9131-db.dts:      phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";
arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/cn9132-db.dts:      phy-mode = "10gbase-kr";

which all use the mvpp2 driver, and these will be updated in a
separate patch to be submitted in the following kernel cycle.

 Documentation/networking/phy.rst                | 18 ++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvpp2/mvpp2_main.c | 13 ++++++++-----
 drivers/net/phy/aquantia_main.c                 |  7 +++++--
 drivers/net/phy/bcm84881.c                      |  4 ++--
 drivers/net/phy/marvell10g.c                    | 11 ++++++-----
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c                       |  1 +
 drivers/net/phy/sfp-bus.c                       |  2 +-
 drivers/phy/marvell/phy-mvebu-cp110-comphy.c    | 20 ++++++++++----------
 include/linux/phy.h                             | 12 ++++++++----
 9 files changed, 59 insertions(+), 29 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up