Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v5 06/15] net: macsec: add nla support for changing the offloading selection

From: Antoine Tenart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 16:20:48 +0100

Hello Jiri,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 04:02:02PM +0100, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> 
> I wonder, did you consider having MACSEC_OFFLOAD_ATTR_TYPE attribute
> passed during the macsec device creation (to macsec_newlink), so the
> device is either created "offloded" or not? Looks like an extra step.
> Or do you see a scenario one would change "offload" setting on fly?
> If not, I don't see any benefit in having this as a separate command.

That would be possible as well. When we discussed offloading selection
we thought allowing the user to fallback to another offloading mode when
a rule or a set of rules isn't supported by a given device would be
useful, even though updating the offloading selection at runtime isn't
fully transparent for now (this would be a nice follow-up).

Thanks,
Antoine

-- 
Antoine Ténart, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com