Subject: [PATCH 0/5] vDPA support

From: Jason Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 20:42:26 +0800

Hi all:

Based on the comments and discussion for mdev based hardware virtio
offloading support[1]. A different approach to support vDPA device is
proposed in this series.

Instead of leveraging VFIO/mdev which may not work for some
vendors. This series tries to introduce a dedicated vDPA bus and
leverage vhost for userspace drivers. This help for the devices that
are not fit for VFIO and may reduce the conflict when try to propose a
bus template for virtual devices in [1].

The vDPA support is split into following parts:

1) vDPA core (bus, device and driver abstraction)
2) virtio vDPA transport for kernel virtio driver to control vDPA
   device
3) vhost vDPA bus driver for userspace vhost driver to control vDPA
   device
4) vendor vDPA drivers
5) management API

Both 1) and 2) are included in this series. Tiwei will work on part
3). For 4), Ling Shan will work and post IFCVF driver. For 5) we leave
it to vendor to implement, but it's better to come into an agreement
for management to create/configure/destroy vDPA device.

The sample driver is kept but renamed to vdap_sim. An on-chip IOMMU
implementation is added to sample device to make it work for both
kernel virtio driver and userspace vhost driver. It implements a sysfs
based management API, but it can switch to any other (e.g devlink) if
necessary.

Please refer each patch for more information.

Comments are welcomed.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/11/18/261

Jason Wang (5):
  vhost: factor out IOTLB
  vringh: IOTLB support
  vDPA: introduce vDPA bus
  virtio: introduce a vDPA based transport
  vdpasim: vDPA device simulator

 MAINTAINERS                    |   2 +
 drivers/vhost/Kconfig          |   7 +
 drivers/vhost/Kconfig.vringh   |   1 +
 drivers/vhost/Makefile         |   2 +
 drivers/vhost/net.c            |   2 +-
 drivers/vhost/vhost.c          | 221 +++------
 drivers/vhost/vhost.h          |  36 +-
 drivers/vhost/vhost_iotlb.c    | 171 +++++++
 drivers/vhost/vringh.c         | 434 +++++++++++++++++-
 drivers/virtio/Kconfig         |  15 +
 drivers/virtio/Makefile        |   2 +
 drivers/virtio/vdpa/Kconfig    |  26 ++
 drivers/virtio/vdpa/Makefile   |   3 +
 drivers/virtio/vdpa/vdpa.c     | 141 ++++++
 drivers/virtio/vdpa/vdpa_sim.c | 796 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/virtio/virtio_vdpa.c   | 400 +++++++++++++++++
 include/linux/vdpa.h           | 191 ++++++++
 include/linux/vhost_iotlb.h    |  45 ++
 include/linux/vringh.h         |  36 ++
 19 files changed, 2327 insertions(+), 204 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 drivers/vhost/vhost_iotlb.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/virtio/vdpa/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 drivers/virtio/vdpa/Makefile
 create mode 100644 drivers/virtio/vdpa/vdpa.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/virtio/vdpa/vdpa_sim.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/virtio/virtio_vdpa.c
 create mode 100644 include/linux/vdpa.h
 create mode 100644 include/linux/vhost_iotlb.h

-- 
2.19.1