Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 14/14] qed: bump driver version

From: Leon Romanovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 18:13:53 +0200

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 05:26:27PM +0200, Michal Kalderon wrote:
> The FW brings along a large set of fixes and features which will be added
> at a later phase. This is an adaquete point to bump the driver version.
>
> Signed-off-by: Ariel Elior <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Michal Kalderon <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  drivers/net/ethernet/qlogic/qed/qed.h | 2 +-
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
>

We discussed this a lot, those driver version bumps are stupid and
have nothing close to the reality. Distro kernels are based on some
kernel version with extra patches on top, in RedHat world this "extra"
is a lot. For them your driver version say nothing. For users who
run vanilla kernel, those versions are not relevant too, because
running such kernels requires knowledge and understanding.

You definitely should stop this enterprise cargo cult of "releasing
software" by updating versions in non-controlled by you distribution
chain.

Thanks