Subject: Re: [PATCH net v2] phy: avoid unnecessary link-up delay in polling mode

From: Ivan Vecera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 11:25:54 +0100

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 21:50:48 +0100
Heiner Kallweit <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > 0x7949
> > [   24.154174] xgene-mii-rgmii:03: genphy_update_link(), line: 1927, link: 0
> > 
> > . supressed 3 same messages in T0+1,2,3s
> > 
> > [   28.609822] xgene-mii-rgmii:03: genphy_update_link(), line: 1895, link: 0
> > [   28.629906] xgene-mii-rgmii:03: genphy_update_link(), line: 1917, status:
> > 0x7969
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ detected BMSR_ANEGCOMPLETE but not BMSR_LSTATUS
> > [   28.644590] xgene-mii-rgmii:03: genphy_update_link(), line: 1921, status:
> > 0x796d
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ here is detected BMSR_ANEGCOMPLETE and BMSR_LSTATUS
> > [   28.658681] xgene-mii-rgmii:03: genphy_update_link(), line: 1927, link: 1
> >   
> 
> I see, thanks. Strange behavior of the PHY. Did you test also with other PHY's
> whether they behave the same?

Yeah, it's strange... we could try different PHYs but anyway the double read was
removed for polling mode to detect momentary link drops but it make sense only
when phy->link is not 0. Thoughts?

Ivan