Subject: Re: [PATCH] staging: qlge: Fixed extra indentation in qlget_get_stats()

From: Benjamin Poirier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 15:50:01 +0900

On 2020/02/10 11:31 -0700, Jarrett Knauer wrote:
> On 2020-02-09 9:31 p.m., Benjamin Poirier wrote:
> > On 2020/02/09 00:36 -0700, Jarrett Knauer wrote:
> >> qlge TODO cited weird indentation all over qlge files, with
> >> qlget_get_stats() as an example. With this fix the TODO will need to be
> >> updated as well.
> >>
> >> This is also a re-submission, as I incorrectly sent my first patch
> >> directly to the maintainers instead of to the correct mailing list.
> >> Apologies.
> > If you really want to fix this, I would suggest to go over all of the
> > driver at once. Then you can remove the TODO entry.
> I can do this. Would it be best for me to re-submit this patch in a series of patches with each indentation fix that I go through + a cover letter for the series?

A quick run of `clang-format` shows:
5 files changed, 2305 insertions(+), 2407 deletions(-)
Many of those are unneeded but I guess it will still be a lot of changes.

There is not much benefit to splitting each small indentation fix into
separate patches: it doesn't help to understand the patch, it doesn't
help bisectability, it's debatable that they are logically distinct
changes.

If you want, you could split them into topics like "fix code formatting
in enum/struct definitions/function bodies/preprocessor directives/...
Then again, if the overall changes turn out not to be that large, a
single patch would be fine I think.

Please make sure to read Documentation/process/coding-style.rst; that
doesn't go into every small detail and some things are up to the
preference of whoever wrote the code. In case of doubt, I'd suggest to
look at other drivers in drivers/net/ethernet/ that are not too old:
ice, ionic, sfc, mlx5, ...