Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/8] rework phylink interface for split MAC/PCS support

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 09:37:03 +0000

Hi,

The following series changes the phylink interface to allow us to
better support split MAC / MAC PCS setups.  The fundamental change
required for this turns out to be quite simple.

Today, mac_config() is used for everything to do with setting the
parameters for the MAC, and mac_link_up() is used to inform the
MAC driver that the link is now up (and so to allow packet flow.)
mac_config() also has had a few implementation issues, with folk
who believe that members such as "speed" and "duplex" are always
valid, where "link" gets used inappropriately, etc.

With the proposed patches, all this changes subtly - but in a
backwards compatible way at this stage.

We pass the the full resolved link state (speed, duplex, pause) to
mac_link_up(), and it is now guaranteed that these parameters to
this function will always be valid (no more SPEED_UNKNOWN or
DUPLEX_UNKNOWN here - unless phylink is fed with such things.)

Drivers should convert over to using the state in mac_link_up()
rather than configuring the speed, duplex and pause in the
mac_config() method. The patch series includes a number of MAC
drivers which I've thought have been easy targets - I've left the
remainder as I think they need maintainer input. However, *all*
drivers will need conversion for future phylink development.

 Documentation/networking/sfp-phylink.rst          |  17 +++-
 drivers/net/dsa/b53/b53_common.c                  |   4 +-
 drivers/net/dsa/b53/b53_priv.h                    |   4 +-
 drivers/net/dsa/bcm_sf2.c                         |   4 +-
 drivers/net/dsa/lantiq_gswip.c                    |   4 +-
 drivers/net/dsa/mt7530.c                          |   4 +-
 drivers/net/dsa/mv88e6xxx/chip.c                  |  79 +++++++++++++----
 drivers/net/dsa/sja1105/sja1105_main.c            |   4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/cadence/macb.h               |   1 -
 drivers/net/ethernet/cadence/macb_main.c          |  57 +++++++-----
 drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/dpaa2/dpaa2-mac.c  |  61 ++++++++-----
 drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/dpaa2/dpaa2-mac.h  |   1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvneta.c             |  63 ++++++++-----
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvpp2/mvpp2_main.c   | 102 +++++++++++++---------
 drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/mtk_eth_soc.c       |   7 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c |   4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_axienet_main.c |  37 ++++----
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c                         |   9 +-
 include/linux/phylink.h                           |  57 ++++++++----
 include/net/dsa.h                                 |   4 +-
 net/dsa/port.c                                    |   7 +-
 21 files changed, 352 insertions(+), 178 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up