Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/10] net: dsa: improve serdes integration

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 12:50:57 +0000

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 01:40:18PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > Yep - it comes from the poor integration of phylink into DSA for CPU
> > and inter-DSA ports which is already causing regressions in today's
> > kernels. That needs resolving somehow before this patch series can
> > be merged, but it isn't something that can be fixed from the phylink
> > side of things.
> 
> Hi Russell
> 
> What do you think about my proposal to solve it? Only instantiate
> phylink for CPU and DSA ports if there is a fixed-link or phy-handle
> in DT?

I think it gets us out of the problem, and is probably the best
solution for stable kernels that we have at the moment. It isn't
too elegant, but then my solution isn't either.  If we work out an
alternative approach later, then we can always switch to that.

So, in the interests of moving forward, as well as fixing the
regression we already know about, I think your solution should
be merged.

> So i will formally propose my solution.

Thanks.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 10.2Mbps down 587kbps up