Subject: [PATCH 00/15] net: taint when the device driver firmware crashes

From: Luis Chamberlain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 04:35:37 +0000

Device driver firmware can crash, and sometimes, this can leave your
system in a state which makes the device or subsystem completely
useless. Detecting this by inspecting /proc/sys/kernel/tainted instead
of scraping some magical words from the kernel log, which is driver
specific, is much easier. So instead this series provides a helper which
lets drivers annotate this and shows how to use this on networking
drivers.

My methodology for finding when firmware crashes is to git grep for
"crash" and then doing some study of the code to see if this indeed
a place where the firmware crashes. In some places this is quite
obvious.

I'm starting off with networking first, if this gets merged later on I
can focus on the other drivers, but I already have some work done on
other subsytems.

Review, flames, etc are greatly appreciated.

This work, only on networking drivers, can be found on my git tree as well:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mcgrof/linux-next.git/log/?h=20200509-taint-firmware-net

Luis Chamberlain (15):
  taint: add module firmware crash taint support
  ethernet/839: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  bnx2x: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  bnxt: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  bna: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  liquidio: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  cxgb4: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  ehea: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  qed: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  soc: qcom: ipa: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  wimax/i2400m: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  ath10k: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  ath6kl: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  brcm80211: use new module_firmware_crashed()
  mwl8k: use new module_firmware_crashed()

 drivers/net/ethernet/8390/axnet_cs.c                |  4 +++-
 drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_main.c    |  1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnxt/bnxt_ethtool.c   |  1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/brocade/bna/bfa_ioc.c          |  1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/cavium/liquidio/lio_main.c     |  1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/chelsio/cxgb4/cxgb4_main.c     |  1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/ibm/ehea/ehea_main.c           |  2 ++
 drivers/net/ethernet/qlogic/qed/qed_debug.c         |  3 +++
 drivers/net/ipa/ipa_modem.c                         |  1 +
 drivers/net/wimax/i2400m/rx.c                       |  1 +
 drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath10k/pci.c               |  2 ++
 drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath10k/sdio.c              |  2 ++
 drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath10k/snoc.c              |  1 +
 drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath6kl/hif.c               |  1 +
 .../net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/core.c |  1 +
 drivers/net/wireless/marvell/mwl8k.c                |  1 +
 include/linux/kernel.h                              |  3 ++-
 include/linux/module.h                              | 13 +++++++++++++
 include/trace/events/module.h                       |  3 ++-
 kernel/module.c                                     |  5 +++--
 kernel/panic.c                                      |  1 +
 21 files changed, 44 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

-- 
2.25.1