Subject: Re: [RFC next-next v2 1/5] net: marvell: prestera: Add driver for Prestera family ASIC devices

From: Vadym Kochan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 16:02:52 +0300

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 02:42:45PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > >I understand this is not good, but currently this is simple solution to
> > >handle base MAC configuration for different boards which has this PP,
> > >otherwise it needs to by supported by platform drivers. Is there some
> > >generic way to handle this ?
> > 
> > If the HW is not capable holding the mac, I think that you can have it
> > in platform data. The usual way for such HW is to generate random mac.
> > module parameter is definitelly a no-go.
> 
> And i already suggested it should be a device tree property.
> 
>     Andrew
Looks like it might be hard for the board manufacturing? I mean each
board item need to have updated dtb file with base mac address, instead
to have common dtb for the board type.

And it sounds that platform data might be the way in case if the vendor
will implement platform device driver which will handle reading base mac
from eeprom (or other storage) depending on the board and put it to the
platform data which will be provided to prestera driver ?

Regards,
Vadym Kochan