Subject: Re: signal quality and cable diagnostic

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 16:33:37 +0200

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 04:13:10PM +0200, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> 
> First of all, great work! As your cable diagnostic patches are in
> net-next now and can be used as base for the follow-up discussion.
> 
> Do you already have ethtool patches somewhere? :=) Can you please give a
> link for testing?

Hi Oleksij

It was mentioned in the cover note

https://github.com/lunn/ethtool/tree/feature/cable-test-v4

> 
> I continue to work on TJA11xx PHY and need to export some additional
> cable diagnostic/link stability information: Signal Quality Index (SQI).

Is this something you want to continually make available, or just as
part of cable diagnostics. Additional nested attributes can be added
to the cable test results structure, and the user space code just
dumps whatever it finds. So it should be easy to have something like:

Pair A: OK
Pair A: Signal Quality Index class D

Are the classes part of the Open Alliance specification? Ideally we
want to report something standardized, not something proprietary to
NXP.

	Andrew