Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 12/15] ath10k: use new module_firmware_crashed()

From: Luis Chamberlain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 05:23:55 +0000

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 08:12:59AM +0300, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:37 PM Emmanuel Grumbach <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > So I believe we already have this uevent, it is the devcoredump. All
> > > we need is to add the unique id.
> >
> > I think there are a few reasons that devcoredump doesn't satisfy what
> > either Luis or I want.
> >
> > 1) it can be disabled entirely [1], for good reasons (e.g., think of
> > non-${CHIP_VENDOR} folks, who can't (and don't want to) do anything
> > with the opaque dumps provided by closed-source firmware)
> 
> Ok, if all you're interested into is the information that this event
> happen (as opposed to report a bug and providing the data), then I
> agree. 

I've now hit again a firmware crash with ath10k with the latest firwmare
and kernel and the *only* thing that helped recovery was a full reboot,
so that is a crystal clear case that this needs to taint the kernel, and
yes we do want to inform users too, so I've just added uevent support
for a few panic / taint events in the kernel now and rolled into my
series. I'll run some final tests and then post this as a follow up.

devlink didn't cut it, its networking specific.

  Luis