Subject: Re: [RFC 1/2] devlink: add simple fw crash helpers

From: Luis Chamberlain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 21:51:45 +0000

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:46:07PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> FWIW, I still completely disagree on that taint. You (Luis) obviously
> have been running into a bug in that driver, I doubt the firmware
> actually managed to wedge the hardware.

This hasn't happened just once, its happed many times sporadically now,
once a week or two weeks I'd say. And the system isn't being moved
around.

> But even if it did, that's still not really a kernel taint. The kernel
> itself isn't in any way affected by this.

Of course it is, a full reboot is required.

> Yes, the system is in a weird state now. But that's *not* equivalent to
> "kernel tainted".

Requiring a full reboot is a dire situation to be in, and loosing
connectivity to the point this is not recoverable likewise.

You guys are making out a taint to be the end of the world. We have a
taint even for a kernel warning, and as others have mentioned mac80211
already produces these.

What exactly is the opposition to a taint to clarify that a device
firmware has crashed and your system requires a full reboot?

  Luis