Subject: [PATCH RFC 0/7] Clause 45 PHY probing cleanups

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 15:29:48 +0100

Hi,

In response to the patch set that Jeremy posted, this is my proposal
to expand our Clause 45 PHY probing.

I've taken a slightly different approach, with the view to avoiding
as much behavioural change as possible.  The biggest difference is
to do with "devices_in_package" - we were using it for two different
purposes, which are now separated.

This is not against net-next nor net trees, but against my own private
tree, but I'm posting it to serve as an illustration of what I think
should be done - I knocked this up this morning.

The only potential regression that I'm expecting is with 88x3310 PHYs
of the later revision, which have the clause 22 registers implemented.
I haven't yet checked whether they set bit 0, but if they do, the
various decision points that we have based on that bit could adversely
affect this PHY - it needs testing, which I'll do when I dig out the
appropriate hardware.  Probably also needs the 2110 PHYs checked as
well.

I haven't tested this series yet beyond compile testing.

Given the proximity of the merge window, this *isn't* code I'd like to
see merged into net-next - it's way too risky at this point.  So, we
have time to consider our options.

 drivers/net/phy/bcm87xx.c    |   2 +-
 drivers/net/phy/cortina.c    |   3 +-
 drivers/net/phy/phy-c45.c    |   4 +-
 drivers/net/phy/phy-core.c   |  11 ++--
 drivers/net/phy/phy.c        |   4 +-
 drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c | 141 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------
 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c    |  19 +++---
 include/linux/mdio.h         |  31 ++++++++++
 include/linux/phy.h          |  14 ++---
 9 files changed, 146 insertions(+), 83 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC for 0.8m (est. 1762m) line in suburbia: sync at 13.1Mbps down 424kbps up