Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3] net: phy: micrel: add phy-mode support for the KSZ9031 PHY

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 22:52:21 +0200

> You may wonder what's the difference between 3 and 4? It's not just the
> PHY driver that looks at phy-mode!
> drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb_main.c:ravb_set_delay_mode() also
> does, and configures an additional TX clock delay of 1.8 ns if TXID is
> enabled.

Hi Geert

That sounds like a MAC bug. Either the MAC insert the delay, or the
PHY does. If the MAC decides it is going to insert the delay, it
should be masking what it passes to phylib so that the PHY does not
add a second delay.

This whole area of RGMII delays has a number of historical bugs, which
often counter act each other. So you fix one, and it break somewhere
else.

In this case, not allowing skews for plain RGMII is probably being too
strict. We probably should relax that constrain in this case, for this
PHY driver.

    Andrew