Subject: Re: [PATCH net] net: mvpp2: Enable autoneg bypass for 1000BaseX/2500BaseX ports

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 15:48:05 +0100

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 04:33:35PM +0200, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> below is the dts part for the two network interfaces. The switch to
> the outside has two ports, which correlate to the two internal ports.
> And the switch propagates the link state of the external ports to
> the internal ports.

Okay, so this DTS hasn't been reviewed...

> &cp0_eth1 {
>         status = "okay";
>         phy-mode = "2500base-x";
>         mac-address = [00 00 00 00 00 01];
>         interrupts = <41 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
>         <45 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
>         <49 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
>         <53 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
>         <57 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
>         <61 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
>         <65 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
>         <69 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
>         <73 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
>         <127 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
>         interrupt-names = "hif0", "hif1", "hif2",
>         "hif3", "hif4", "hif5", "hif6", "hif7",
>         "hif8", "link";
>         port-id = <2>;
>         gop-port-id = <3>;

This seems to correlate with the eth2 node in armada-cp11x.dtsi -
you do not need to specify the interrupts, interrupt-names, port-id
and gop-port-id unless you need to change them just because you want
to add a few properties to this node - you can just list the new or
altered properties.  To delete a property, you need to prefix the
property name with /delete-property/.

>         managed = "in-band-status";

This isn't correct - you are requesting that in-band status is used
(i.o.w. the in-band control word, see commit 4cba5c210365), but your
bug report wants to enable AN bypass because there is no in-band
control word.  This seems to be rather contradictory.

May I suggest you use a fixed-link here, which will not have any
inband status, as there is no in-band control word being sent by
the switch?  That is also the conventional way of handling switch
links.

Thanks.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC for 0.8m (est. 1762m) line in suburbia: sync at 13.1Mbps down 424kbps up