Subject: [PATCH 0/2] vhost, docs: convert to pin_user_pages(), new "case 5"

From: John Hubbard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 16:43:07 -0700

Hi,

It recently became clear to me that there are some get_user_pages*()
callers that don't fit neatly into any of the four cases that are so
far listed in pin_user_pages.rst. vhost.c is one of those.

Add a Case 5 to the documentation, and refer to that when converting
vhost.c.

Thanks to Jan Kara for helping me (again) in understanding the
interaction between get_user_pages() and page writeback [1].

This is based on today's mmotm, which has a nearby patch to
pin_user_pages.rst that rewords cases 3 and 4.

Note that I have only compile-tested the vhost.c patch, although that
does also include cross-compiling for a few other arches. Any run-time
testing would be greatly appreciated.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

John Hubbard (2):
  docs: mm/gup: pin_user_pages.rst: add a "case 5"
  vhost: convert get_user_pages() --> pin_user_pages()

 Documentation/core-api/pin_user_pages.rst | 20 ++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/vhost/vhost.c                     |  5 ++---
 2 files changed, 22 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

-- 
2.26.2