Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 net-next 1/4] devlink: Add new "allow_fw_live_reset" generic device parameter.

From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 08:28:15 +0200

Mon, Jun 01, 2020 at 11:44:36PM CEST, [email-masked] wrote:
>On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 08:39:18 +0200 Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> > If the permanent (NVRAM) parameter is true, all loaded new drivers
>> > will indicate support for this feature and set the runtime value to
>> > true by default.  The runtime value would not be true if any loaded
>> > driver is too old or has set the runtime value to false.  
>> 
>> This is a bit odd. It is a configuration, not an indication. When you
>> want to indicate what you support something, I think it should be done
>> in a different place. I think that "devlink dev info" is the place to
>> put it, I think that we need "capabilities" there.
>

First of all, I think we cleared that up, params are not used like that
in this patchset.

>Could you explain the need for "capabilities" under dev info?
>
>I don't like catch-all mechanisms in principle. Better if capabilities
>are expressed by the API dedicated to configuration of a given feature.

I see. That makes sense. I was thinking about that, some capabilities
are per port. I think that a simple attribute would do.

>
>In this particular example the ability to do live reset is clearly
>expressed by the presence of the parameter (as implemented by this set).
>