Subject: [PATCH 00/15] net: phy: correctly model the PHY voltage supply in DT

From: Bartosz Golaszewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 11:37:29 +0200

From: Bartosz Golaszewski <[email-masked]>

PHY devices on an MDIO bus can have their own regulators. This is currently
mostly modeled using the semi-standard phy-supply property on the MAC node.
This seems to be conceptually wrong though, as the MAC shouldn't need to
care about enabling the PHY regulator explicitly. Instead this should be
done by the core PHY/MDIO code.

This series introduces a new DT property at the PHY node level in mdio.yaml
and adds support for PHY regulator, then uses the new property on pumpkin
boards. It also addresses several issues I noticed when working on this
feature.

First four patches are just cosmetic improvements in source files we'll
modify later in this series.

Patches 5 and 6 modify the way PHY reset handling works. Currently the
probe() callback needs to be implemented to take the PHY out of reset but
PHY drivers without probe() can have resets defined as well.

Patches 7-11 address an issue where we probe the PHY for ID without
deasserting its reset signal. We delay the ID read until after the logical
device is created and resets have been configured.

Last four patches add the new DT property, implement support for PHY
regulator in phy and mdio code and set the new property in the DT file
for MediaTek's pumpkin boards.

Bartosz Golaszewski (15):
  net: phy: arrange headers in mdio_bus.c alphabetically
  net: phy: arrange headers in mdio_device.c alphabetically
  net: phy: arrange headers in phy_device.c alphabetically
  net: mdio: add a forward declaration for reset_control to mdio.h
  net: phy: reset the PHY even if probe() is not implemented
  net: phy: mdio: reset MDIO devices even if probe() is not implemented
  net: phy: split out the PHY driver request out of phy_device_create()
  net: phy: check the PHY presence in get_phy_id()
  net: phy: delay PHY driver probe until PHY registration
  net: phy: simplify phy_device_create()
  net: phy: drop get_phy_device()
  dt-bindings: mdio: add phy-supply property to ethernet phy node
  net: phy: mdio: add support for PHY supply regulator
  net: phy: add PHY regulator support
  ARM64: dts: mediatek: add a phy regulator to pumpkin-common.dtsi

 .../devicetree/bindings/net/mdio.yaml         |   4 +
 .../boot/dts/mediatek/pumpkin-common.dtsi     |   1 +
 drivers/net/dsa/ocelot/felix_vsc9959.c        |   3 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/amd/xgbe/xgbe-phy-v2.c   |   5 +-
 .../net/ethernet/hisilicon/hns/hns_dsaf_mac.c |   2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/socionext/netsec.c       |   3 +-
 drivers/net/phy/fixed_phy.c                   |   2 +-
 drivers/net/phy/mdio-xgene.c                  |   2 +-
 drivers/net/phy/mdio_bus.c                    |  55 +++--
 drivers/net/phy/mdio_device.c                 |  51 ++++-
 drivers/net/phy/nxp-tja11xx.c                 |   2 +-
 drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c                  | 216 ++++++++++--------
 drivers/net/phy/sfp.c                         |   2 +-
 drivers/of/of_mdio.c                          |  11 +-
 include/linux/mdio.h                          |   4 +
 include/linux/phy.h                           |  21 +-
 16 files changed, 240 insertions(+), 144 deletions(-)

-- 
2.26.1