Subject: Re: [PATCH 13/15] net: phy: mdio: add support for PHY supply regulator

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 14:25:04 +0100

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:37:42AM +0200, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> From: Bartosz Golaszewski <[email-masked]>
> 
> Currently many MAC drivers control the regulator supplying the PHY but
> this is conceptually wrong. The regulator should be defined as a property
> of the PHY node on the MDIO bus and controlled by the MDIO sub-system.
> 
> Add support for an optional PHY regulator which will be enabled before
> optional deasserting of the reset signal.

I wonder if this is the right place for this - MDIO devices do not have
to be PHYs - they can be switches, and using "phy-supply" for a switch
doesn't seem logical.

However, I can see the utility of having having a supply provided for
all mdio devices, so it seems to me to be a naming issue.  Andrew?

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!