Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] net: phylink: correct trivial kernel-doc inconsistencies

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 23:20:36 +0100

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 09:36:35PM +0000, Colton Lewis wrote:
> > We seem to be having a communication breakdown.  In review to your
> > version 2 patch set, I said:
> > 
> >    However, please drop all your changes for everything but the
> >    "struct phylink_config" documentation change; I'm intending to change
> >    all these method signatures, which means your changes will conflict.
> > 
> > But the changes still exist in version 3.  What gives?
> 
> You said *drop all your changes* for *everything but* the struct phylink_config change. I interpreted this to mean you wanted *only* struct phylink_config. In context of your previous comments, I might have guessed you meant the opposite.

It seems we're using different versions of English, because your v4 is
still wrong.

Want I want for the phylink change is to see the hunk that changes
struct phylink_config ONLY and NOT any of the individual method
configuration.  In other words, I want:

diff --git a/include/linux/phylink.h b/include/linux/phylink.h
index cc5b452a184e..cb3230590a1f 100644
--- a/include/linux/phylink.h
+++ b/include/linux/phylink.h
@@ -62,6 +62,8 @@ enum phylink_op_type {
  * @dev: a pointer to a struct device associated with the MAC
  * @type: operation type of PHYLINK instance
  * @pcs_poll: MAC PCS cannot provide link change interrupt
+ * @poll_fixed_state: poll link state with @get_fixed_state
+ * @get_fixed_state: read link state into struct phylink_link_state
  */
 struct phylink_config {
        struct device *dev;

But I don't want:

@@ -331,7 +333,7 @@ void pcs_get_state(struct phylink_config *config,
  *
  * For most 10GBASE-R, there is no advertisement.
  */
-int (*pcs_config)(struct phylink_config *config, unsigned int mode,
+int *pcs_config(struct phylink_config *config, unsigned int mode,
                  phy_interface_t interface, const unsigned long *advertising);

 /**

and the rest of those in that file.

I really don't think I could have been clearer without creating the
damn patch for you.

Second thoughts, don't bother, I'll do it myself, the amount of effort
wasted here is rediculous, and I really don't want to go round this
loop yet again.

Thanks for pointing the issues out.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!