Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC leds + net-next v2 1/1] net: phy: marvell: add support for PHY LEDs via LED class

From: Marek Behun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 00:53:49 +0200

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 23:35:31 +0200
Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Marek
> 
> I expect some of this should be moved into the phylib core. We don't
> want each PHY inventing its own way to do this. The core should
> provide a framework and the PHY driver fills in the gaps.
> 
> Take a look at for example mscc_main.c and its LED information. It has
> pretty similar hardware to the Marvell. And microchip.c also has LED
> handling, etc.

OK, this makes sense. I will have to think about this a little.

My main issue though is whether one "hw-control" trigger should be
registered via LED API and the specific mode should be chosen via
another sysfs file as in this RFC, or whether each HW control mode
should have its own trigger. The second solution would either result in
a lot of registered triggers or complicate LED API, though...

Marek