Subject: [RFC PATCH 00/17] Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value

From: "Saheed O. Bolarinwa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:24:29 +0200

The return value of pci_read_config_*() may not indicate a device error.
However, the value read by these functions is more likely to indicate
this kind of error. This presents two overlapping ways of reporting
errors and complicates error checking.

It is possible to move to one single way of checking for error if the 
dependencies on the return value of these functions are removed, then it
can later be made to return void.

Remove all uses of the return value of pci_read_config_*().
Check the actual value read for ~0. In this case, ~0 is an invalid value
thus it indicates some kind of error.

In some cases it madkes sence to make the calling function return void
without causing any bug. Future callers can use the value obtained from
these functions for validation. This case pertain to cs5536_read() and 
edac_pci_read_dword()

MERGE:
There is no dependency.
Merge individually

Saheed O. Bolarinwa (17):
  ata: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  atm: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  bcma: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  hwrng: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  dmaengine: ioat: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  edac: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  fpga: altera-cvp: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  gpio: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  drm/i915/vga: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  hwmon: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  intel_th: pci: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  i2c: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  ide: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  IB: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  iommu/vt-d: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  mtd: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value
  net: Drop uses of pci_read_config_*() return value

 drivers/ata/pata_cs5536.c                     |  6 +--
 drivers/ata/pata_rz1000.c                     |  3 +-
 drivers/atm/eni.c                             |  3 +-
 drivers/atm/he.c                              | 12 +++--
 drivers/atm/idt77252.c                        |  9 ++--
 drivers/atm/iphase.c                          | 46 ++++++++++---------
 drivers/atm/lanai.c                           |  4 +-
 drivers/atm/nicstar.c                         |  3 +-
 drivers/atm/zatm.c                            |  9 ++--
 drivers/bcma/host_pci.c                       |  6 ++-
 drivers/char/hw_random/amd-rng.c              |  6 +--
 drivers/dma/ioat/dma.c                        |  6 +--
 drivers/edac/amd64_edac.c                     |  8 ++--
 drivers/edac/amd8111_edac.c                   | 16 ++-----
 drivers/edac/amd8131_edac.c                   |  6 +--
 drivers/edac/i82443bxgx_edac.c                |  3 +-
 drivers/edac/sb_edac.c                        | 12 +++--
 drivers/edac/skx_common.c                     | 18 +++++---
 drivers/fpga/altera-cvp.c                     |  8 ++--
 drivers/gpio/gpio-amd8111.c                   |  7 ++-
 drivers/gpio/gpio-rdc321x.c                   | 21 +++++----
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_vga.c      |  3 +-
 drivers/hwmon/i5k_amb.c                       | 12 +++--
 drivers/hwmon/vt8231.c                        |  8 ++--
 drivers/hwtracing/intel_th/pci.c              | 12 ++---
 drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-ali15x3.c              |  6 ++-
 drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-elektor.c              |  3 +-
 drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-nforce2.c              |  4 +-
 drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-sis5595.c              | 17 ++++---
 drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-sis630.c               |  7 +--
 drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-viapro.c               | 11 +++--
 drivers/ide/cs5536.c                          |  6 +--
 drivers/ide/rz1000.c                          |  3 +-
 drivers/ide/setup-pci.c                       | 26 +++++++----
 drivers/infiniband/hw/hfi1/pcie.c             | 38 +++++++--------
 drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_reset.c     | 19 ++++----
 drivers/iommu/intel/iommu.c                   |  6 ++-
 drivers/mtd/maps/ichxrom.c                    |  4 +-
 drivers/net/can/peak_canfd/peak_pciefd_main.c |  6 ++-
 drivers/net/can/sja1000/peak_pci.c            |  6 ++-
 drivers/net/ethernet/agere/et131x.c           | 11 +++--
 .../ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_ethtool.c   |  5 +-
 .../cavium/liquidio/cn23xx_pf_device.c        |  4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/sky2.c           |  5 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4/catas.c    |  7 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4/reset.c    | 10 ++--
 .../net/ethernet/myricom/myri10ge/myri10ge.c  |  4 +-
 drivers/net/wan/farsync.c                     |  5 +-
 .../broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/pcie.c        |  4 +-
 .../net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/pcie/trans.c   | 15 ++++--
 50 files changed, 270 insertions(+), 209 deletions(-)

-- 
2.18.4