Subject: [PATCH net-next 2/2] enetc: use napi_schedule to be compatible with PREEMPT_RT

From: Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 23:10:09 +0300

From: Jiafei Pan <[email-masked]>

The driver calls napi_schedule_irqoff() from a context where, in RT,
hardirqs are not disabled, since the IRQ handler is force-threaded.

In the call path of this function, __raise_softirq_irqoff() is modifying
its per-CPU mask of pending softirqs that must be processed, using
or_softirq_pending(). The or_softirq_pending() function is not atomic,
but since interrupts are supposed to be disabled, nobody should be
preempting it, and the operation should be safe.

Nonetheless, when running with hardirqs on, as in the PREEMPT_RT case,
it isn't safe, and the pending softirqs mask can get corrupted,
resulting in softirqs being lost and never processed.

To have common code that works with PREEMPT_RT and with mainline Linux,
we can use plain napi_schedule() instead. The difference is that
napi_schedule() (via __napi_schedule) also calls local_irq_save, which
disables hardirqs if they aren't already. But, since they already are
disabled in non-RT, this means that in practice we don't see any
measurable difference in throughput or latency with this patch.

Signed-off-by: Jiafei Pan <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/enetc/enetc.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/enetc/enetc.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/enetc/enetc.c
index f50353cbb4db..f78ca7b343d2 100644
--- a/drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/enetc/enetc.c
+++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/enetc/enetc.c
@@ -270,7 +270,7 @@ static irqreturn_t enetc_msix(int irq, void *data)
 	for_each_set_bit(i, &v->tx_rings_map, ENETC_MAX_NUM_TXQS)
 		enetc_wr_reg(v->tbier_base + ENETC_BDR_OFF(i), 0);
 
-	napi_schedule_irqoff(&v->napi);
+	napi_schedule(&v->napi);
 
 	return IRQ_HANDLED;
 }
-- 
2.25.1