Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/7] metricfs metric file system and examples

From: Pavel Machek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:23:22 +0200

On Fri 2020-08-07 14:29:09, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> [resending to widen the CC lists per [email-masked]'s suggestion
> original posting to lkml here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/8/5/1009]
> 
> To try to restart the discussion of kernel statistics started by the
> statsfs patchsets (https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/5/26/332), I wanted
> to share the following set of patches which are Google's 'metricfs'
> implementation and some example uses.  Google has been using metricfs
> internally since 2012 as a way to export various statistics to our
> telemetry systems (similar to OpenTelemetry), and we have over 200
> statistics exported on a typical machine.
> 
> These patches have been cleaned up and modernized v.s. the versions
> in production; I've included notes under the fold in the patches.
> They're based on v5.8-rc6.
> 
> The statistics live under debugfs, in a tree rooted at:
> 
> 	/sys/kernel/debug/metricfs

Is debugfs right place for this? It looks like something where people
would expect compatibility guarantees...

								Pavel

--