Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/49] DRM driver for Hikey 970

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 08:40:30 +0200

Em Wed, 19 Aug 2020 23:25:51 +0200
Sam Ravnborg <[email-masked]> escreveu:

> Hi John.
> 
> > > So, IMO, the best is to keep it on staging for a while, until those
> > > remaining bugs gets solved.  
> > 
> > I'm not sure I see all of these as compelling for pushing it in via
> > staging. And I suspect in the process of submitting the patches for
> > review folks may find the cause of some of the problems you list here.  
> 
> There is a tendency to forget drivers in staging, and with the almost
> constant refactoring that happens in the drm drivers we would end up
> fixing this driver when a bot trigger an error.
> So IMO we need very good reasons to go in via staging.

My plan is to have this driver upstream for 5.10, and getting it
out of staging by Kernel 5.11. So, I doubt that the DRM kAPIs would
change a lot during those 2 Kernel cycles.

In any case, I'm also fine to have a final patch at the end of this
series moving it out of staging. The only thing that, IMHO, prevents
it to be out of staging is the LDI underflow. Right now, if no input
events reach the driver, DPMS will put the monitor to suspend, and
it never returns back from life. I bet that, once we discover the
root cause, the fix would be just a couple of lines, but identifying
where the problem is can take a while.

Thanks,
Mauro