Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/32] Set 2: Rid W=1 warnings in Wireless

From: Lee Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 09:46:29 +0100

On Tue, 01 Sep 2020, Kalle Valo wrote:

> Lee Jones <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > This set is part of a larger effort attempting to clean-up W=1
> > kernel builds, which are currently overwhelmingly riddled with
> > niggly little warnings.
> >
> > There are quite a few W=1 warnings in the Wireless.  My plan
> > is to work through all of them over the next few weeks.
> > Hopefully it won't be too long before drivers/net/wireless
> > builds clean with W=1 enabled.
> 
> BTW, now the patches are in random order and it's quite annoying to
> review when there's no logic. Grouping them by the driver would be a lot
> more pleasent for reviewers.

My script makes a best effort attempt to group changes by file.  It
takes the first warning presented by the compiler then greps the
output for all issues pertaining to that file.  I then split the patch
by issue (i.e. different patches for; kernel-doc, unused variables,
bracketing etc).

One issue you might be seeing is the potential for one fixed issue to
cause another i.e. when one unused variable is removed which was the
only user of another, leading to a subsequent fix of the newly unused
variable.

Other than that, I'm not sure why they would end up out of order.

-- 
Lee Jones [李琼斯]
Senior Technical Lead - Developer Services
Linaro.org │ Open source software for Arm SoCs
Follow Linaro: Facebook | Twitter | Blog