Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/14] Adding GAUDI NIC code to habanalabs driver

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:00:02 -0300

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 08:10:08PM +0300, Oded Gabbay wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> This is the second version of the patch-set to upstream the GAUDI NIC code
> into the habanalabs driver.
> 
> The only modification from v2 is in the ethtool patch (patch 12). Details
> are in that patch's commit message.
> 
> Link to v2 cover letter:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/9/12/201

>1. The NIC functionality is NOT exposed as different PCI Physical
>   Functions. There is a single PF which is used for compute and
>   networking, as the main goal of the NIC ports is to be used as
>   intra-communication and not as standard network interfaces. This
>   implies we can't connect different drivers to handle the networking
>   ports because it is the same device, from the kernel POV, as the
>   compute. Therefore, we must integrate the networking code into the
>   main habanalabs driver.

No, this means you need to use virtual bus/ancillary bus that your
other Intel colleagues have been working on with Greg.

It is specificaly intended as the way to split a single PCI function
across multiple subsystems. eg drivers/misc/habanalabs would be the
pci_driver and drivers/net/ethernet/habanadalabs would be the
'virtual/ancillary' driver. Probably one per port.

Jasno