Subject: Re: [PATCH AUTOSEL 5.8 08/29] net: dsa: microchip: look for phy-mode in port nodes

From: Helmut Grohne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 07:56:30 +0200

Hi Sascha,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 03:30:05AM +0200, Sasha Levin wrote:
> From: Helmut Grohne <[email-masked]>
> 
> [ Upstream commit edecfa98f602a597666e3c5cab2677ada38d93c5 ]
> 
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/dsa/dsa.txt says that the phy-mode
> property should be specified on port nodes. However, the microchip
> drivers read it from the switch node.
> 
> Let the driver use the per-port property and fall back to the old
> location with a warning.
> 
> Fix in-tree users.

I don't think this patch is useful for stable users. It corrects a
device tree layout issue. Any existing users of the functionality will
have an odd, but working device tree and that will continue working
(with a warning) after applying this patch. It just has a property on
the "wrong" node. I don't think I'd like to update my device tree in a
stable update.

If you apply it anyway, please also apply a fixup:
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20200924083746.GA9410@laureti-dev/

Helmut