Subject: Re: [RFC] Status of orinoco_usb

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 14:06:25 +0200

On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 01:53:58PM +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> On 2020-10-02 13:37:25 [+0200], Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > > Is it possible to end up here in softirq context or is this a relic?
> > 
> > I think it's a relic of where USB host controllers completed their urbs
> > in hard-irq mode.  The BH/tasklet change is a pretty recent change.
> 
> But the BH thingy for HCDs went in v3.12 for EHCI. XHCI was v5.5. My
> guess would be that people using orinoco USB are on EHCI :)

USB 3 systems run XHCI, which has a USB 2 controller in it, so these
types of things might not have been noticed yet.  Who knows :)

> > > Should it be removed?
> > 
> > We can move it out to drivers/staging/ and then drop it to see if anyone
> > complains that they have the device and is willing to test any changes.
> 
> Not sure moving is easy since it depends on other files in that folder.
> USB is one interface next to PCI for instance. Unless you meant to move
> the whole driver including all interfaces.
> I was suggesting to remove the USB bits.

I forgot this was tied into other code, sorry.  I don't know what to
suggest other than maybe try to fix it up the best that you can, and
let's see if anyone notices...

thanks,

greg k-h