Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] usb: serial: option: add Cellient MPL200 card

From: Johan Hovold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 09:02:01 +0200

On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 02:07:23PM +0200, Wilken Gottwalt wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 18:36:36 +0700 Lars Melin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On 10/5/2020 18:06, Johan Hovold wrote:

> > > Do you remember the interface layout and why you blacklisted interface
> > > 1?

> > It is very likely that Cellient has replaced the VID with their own and 
> > kept the PID, it is something other mfgrs has done when buying modules 
> > from Qualcomm's series of devices with predefined composition.
> > 
> > The MS Windows driver for 05c6:9025 describes the interfaces as:
> > 
> > MI_00 Qualcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 9025
> > MI_01 Android Composite ADB Interface
> > MI_02 Qualcomm HS-USB Android Modem 9025
> > MI_03 Qualcomm HS-USB NMEA 9025
> > MI_04 Qualcomm Wireless HS-USB Ethernet Adapter 9025
> > MI_05 USB Mass Storage Device
> > 
> > where the net interface is for QMI/RMNET.
> > It fully matches the blacklisting Wilken has done for 2692:9025
> 
> Does your device have a GPS connector? Mine had not and I'm not sure
> if the description of MI_01 is actually correct. I remember looking at
> this port and seeing bogus NMEA data.

Well if it's NMEA then the interface shouldn't be blacklisted (even if
the values are bogus on your device), but if it's ADB it should be as
that is handled by userspace.

Here's some lsusb output from a Cellient MPL200 that still uses the
Qualcomm VID:

	https://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg04523.html

which gives some support to Lars's hypothesis. I guess we'll just keep
the first interface reserved.

Johan