Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/6] Add ancillary bus support

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 09:50:48 +0200

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 12:38:00AM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 12:01 AM Leon Romanovsky <[email-masked]> wrote:
> [..]
> > All stated above is my opinion, it can be different from yours.
> 
> Yes, but we need to converge to move this forward. Jason was involved
> in the current organization for registration, Greg was angling for
> this to be core functionality. I have use cases outside of RDMA and
> netdev. Parav was ok with the current organization. The SOF folks
> already have a proposed incorporation of it. The argument I am hearing
> is that "this registration api seems hard for driver writers" when we
> have several driver writers who have already taken a look and can make
> it work. If you want to follow on with a simpler wrappers for your use
> case, great, but I do not yet see anyone concurring with your opinion
> that the current organization is irretrievably broken or too obscure
> to use.

That's kind of because I tuned out of this thread a long time ago :)

I do agree with Leon that I think the current patch is not the correct
way to do this the easiest, but don't have a competing proposal to show
what I mean.

Yet.

Let's see what happens after 5.10-rc1 is out, it's too late now for any
of this for this next merge window so we can not worry about it for a
few weeks.

thanks,

greg k-h