Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] tools/include: Update if_link.h and netlink.h

From: Jesse Brandeburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 17:34:58 -0700

Jakub Kicinski wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 14:23:48 -0700 Jesse Brandeburg wrote:
> > > These are tested to be the latest as part of the tools/lib/bpf build.  
> > 
> > But you didn't mention why you're making these changes, and you're
> > removing a lot of comments without explaining why/where there might be
> > a replacement or why the comments are useless. I now see that you're
> > adding actual kdoc which is good, except for the part where
> > you don't put kdoc on all the structures.
> 
> Note that he's just syncing the uAPI headers to tools/
> 
> The source of the change is here:
> 
> 78a3ea555713 ("net: remove comments on struct rtnl_link_stats")
> 0db0c34cfbc9 ("net: tighten the definition of interface statistics")

Thanks Kuba, I'm not trying to be a hard ass, but the commit message
didn't say why he's making the change, and if I bisect back to this
and see "sync" as the commit message, I think I'd be stuck chasing
"sync to what?"

I guess that his changelog could just say what you said?

Proposed:
Sync the uAPI headers so that userspace and the kernel match. These
changes match the updates to the files in the tools directory that were
already updated by commits:
78a3ea555713 ("net: remove comments on struct rtnl_link_stats")
0db0c34cfbc9 ("net: tighten the definition of interface statistics")