Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/3] net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: Don't force link when using in-band-status

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 16:58:39 +0200

> > It's still there. The speed/duplex etc are read from the serdes PHY
> > via mv88e6390_serdes_pcs_get_state(). When the link comes up, we
> > pass the negotiated link parameters read from there to the link_up()
> > functions. For ports where mv88e6xxx_port_ppu_updates() returns false
> > (no external PHY) we update the port's speed and duplex setting and
> > (currently, before this patch) force the link up.
> > 
> > That was the behaviour before I converted the code, the one that you
> > referred to. I had assumed the code was correct, and _none_ of the
> > speed, duplex, nor link state was propagated from the serdes PCS to
> > the port on the 88E6390 - hence why the code you refer to existed.
> > 

Chris

Do you get an interrupt when the link goes up? Since there are no
SERDES registers, there is no specific SERDES interrupt. But maybe the
PHY interrupt in global 2 fires? If you can use that, you can then be
more in line with the other implementations and not need this change.

     Andrew