Subject: [PATCH 0/3] mwifiex: disable ps_mode by default for stability

From: Tsuchiya Yuto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 23:24:30 +0900

Hello all,

On Microsoft Surface devices (PCIe-88W8897), we are observing stability
issues when ps_mode (IEEE power_save) is enabled, then eventually causes
firmware crash. Especially on 5GHz APs, the connection is completely
unstable and almost unusable.

I think the most desirable change is to fix the ps_mode itself. But is
seems to be hard work [1], I'm afraid we have to go this way.

Therefore, the first patch of this series disables the ps_mode by default
instead of enabling it on driver init. I'm not sure if explicitly
disabling it is really required or not. I don't have access to the details
of this chip. Let me know if it's enough to just remove the code that
enables ps_mode.

The Second patch adds a new module parameter named "allow_ps_mode". Since
other wifi drivers just disable power_save by default by module parameter
like this, I also added this.

The third patch adds a message when ps_mode will be changed. Useful when
diagnosing connection issues.

Thanks,
Tsuchiya Yuto

[1] https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109681

Tsuchiya Yuto (3):
  mwifiex: disable ps_mode explicitly by default instead
  mwifiex: add allow_ps_mode module parameter
  mwifiex: print message when changing ps_mode

 .../net/wireless/marvell/mwifiex/cfg80211.c   | 23 +++++++++++++++++++
 .../net/wireless/marvell/mwifiex/sta_cmd.c    | 11 ++++++---
 2 files changed, 31 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

-- 
2.29.1