Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/5] net: phy: mdio-i2c: support I2C MDIO protocol for RollBall SFP modules

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 13:41:07 +0000

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 01:54:39PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > It would be good to pass this through checkpatch - I notice some lines
> > seem to be over the 80 character limit now.
> 
> Hi Russell
> 
> The limit got raised to something higher. I personally prefer 80, and
> if a file is using 80, new code would be inconsistent with old code if
> it did not use 80. So your request is reasonable anyway.

Hi Andrew,

I do most of my kernel hacking on the Linux console, so 80x25 is the
limit of what I see - and depending on the editor I'm using, lines
longer than 80 characters are chopped to 80 characters unless I scroll
to the right (which then makes moving up and down problematical.) So,
the files I'm responsible for are likely to stay requiring an 80
character width.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!