Subject: Re: [PATCHv3 iproute2-next 0/5] iproute2: add libbpf support

From: Jiri Benc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 09:44:25 +0100

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 12:19:00 -0800, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:
> I'll just quote myself here for your convenience.

Sorry, I missed your original email for some reason.

>   Submodule is a way that I know of to make this better for end users.
>   If there are other ways to pull this off with shared library use, I'm
>   all for it, it will save the security angle that distros are arguing
>   for. E.g., if distributions will always have the latest libbpf
>   available almost as soon as it's cut upstream *and* new iproute2
>   versions enforce the latest libbpf when they are packaged/released,
>   then this might work equivalently for end users. If Linux distros
>   would be willing to do this faithfully and promptly, I have no
>   objections whatsoever. Because all that matters is BPF end user
>   experience, as Daniel explained above.

That's basically what we already do, for both Fedora and RHEL.

Of course, it follows the distro release cycle, i.e. no version
upgrades - or very limited ones - during lifetime of a particular
release. But that would not be different if libbpf was bundled in
individual projects.

 Jiri