Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3 4/5] net: phy: marvell10g: change MACTYPE if underlying MAC does not support it

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 15:02:16 +0000

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 03:45:52PM +0100, Marek Behún wrote:
> Hi Russell,
> 
> previously you replied on this patch:
> 
> > This'll do as a stop-gap until we have a better way to determine which
> > MACTYPE mode we should be using.
> 
> Can we consider this as Acked-by ?

Not really.

The selection of MACTYPE isn't as simple as you make out in this patch.
If we know that the MAC supports 2500BASE-X and/or SGMII, that means
MACTYPES 0, 3, 4, 5 are possible to fit that, all likely will work if
we restrict the PHY to either 2.5G only or 1G..10M only. However, it
only becomes important if the faster speeds are supported at the MAC.

I'm afraid I haven't put much thought into how to solve it, and as I'm
totally demotivated at the moment, that's unlikely to change.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!