Subject: Re: [resend/standalone PATCH v4] Add auxiliary bus support

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 22:33:57 -0400

On Thu, Dec 03, 2020 at 04:06:24PM +0100, Greg KH wrote:

> > ...for all the independent drivers to have a common commit baseline. It
> > is not there yet pending Greg's Ack.
> 
> I have been trying to carve out some time to review this.  At my initial
> glance, I still have objections, so please, give me a few more days to
> get this done...

There are still several more days till the merge window, but I am
going to ask Leon to get the mlx5 series, and this version of the
auxbus patch it depends on, into linux-next with the intention to
forward it to Linus if there are no substantive comments.

Regardless of fault or reason this whole 1.5 year odyssey seems to have
brought misery to everyone involved and it really is time to move on.

Leon and his team did a good deed 6 weeks ago to quickly turn around
and build another user example. For their efforts they have been
rewarded with major merge conflicts and alot of delayed work due to
the invasive nature of the mlx5 changes. To continue to push this out
is disrespectful to him and his team's efforts.

A major part of my time as RDMA maintainer has been to bring things
away from vendor trees and into a common opensource community.  Intel
shipping a large out of tree RDMA driver and abandoning their intree
driver is really harmful. This auxbus is a substantial blocker to them
normalizing their operations, thus I view it as important to
resolve. Even after this it is going to take a long time and alot of
effort to review their new RDMA driver.

Regards,
Jason