Subject: Re: [pull request][for-next] mlx5-next auxbus support

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 20:26:42 -0400

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 10:29:52AM -0800, Saeed Mahameed wrote:
> Hi Jakub, Jason
> 
> This pull request is targeting net-next and rdma-next branches.
> 
> This series provides mlx5 support for auxiliary bus devices.
> 
> It starts with a merge commit of tag 'auxbus-5.11-rc1' from
> gregkh/driver-core into mlx5-next, then the mlx5 patches that will convert
> mlx5 ulp devices (netdev, rdma, vdpa) to use the proper auxbus
> infrastructure instead of the internal mlx5 device and interface management
> implementation, which Leon is deleting at the end of this patchset.
> 
> Link: https://lore.kernel.org/alsa-devel/[email-masked]/
> 
> Thanks to everyone for the joint effort !
> 
> Please pull and let me know if there's any problem.

This all looks good, thanks.

Jakub a few notes on shared branch process here.. 

In general Linus's advice has been to avoid unnecessary merges so
Saeed/Leon have tended to send PRs to one tree or the other based on
need and that PR might have a "catch up" from the other tree. I guess
this one is special because it makes lots of changes in both trees.

Whoever pulls first means the other cannot refuse the PR, so I usually
prefer to let netdev go first. I have more BW to manage trouble on the
RDMA side..

I saw your other request related to the CI failures due to the wrong
branch basis in the build bot. This means you will need to pull every
update to the mlx5 shared branch, even if it is not immediately
relevant to netdev, or have Saeed include the 'base commit' trailer
and teach the build bots to respect it..

Also, I arrange the RDMA merge window PR to be after netdev (usually
on Thursday) so that Linus sees minor RDMA stuff in the netdev
diffstat, and almost no netdev stuff in the RDMA PR.

Cheers,
Jason