Subject: Re: [PATCH nf-next v4 5/5] af_packet: Introduce egress hook

From: Lukas Wunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 12:14:32 +0100

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 11:13:19AM -0500, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 4:44 AM Lukas Wunner <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Add egress hook for AF_PACKET sockets that have the PACKET_QDISC_BYPASS
> > socket option set to on, which allows packets to escape without being
> > filtered in the egress path.
> >
> > This patch only updates the AF_PACKET path, it does not update
> > dev_direct_xmit() so the XDP infrastructure has a chance to bypass
> > Netfilter.
> 
> Isn't the point of PACKET_QDISC_BYPASS to skip steps like this?

I suppose PACKET_QDISC_BYPASS "was introduced to bypass qdisc,
not to bypass everything."

(The quote is taken from this message by Eric Dumazet:
https://lore.kernel.org/netfilter-devel/[email-masked]/
)

Thanks,

Lukas