Subject: [RFC net-next 0/6] page_pool: recycle buffers

From: Matteo Croce <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 20:42:50 +0100

From: Matteo Croce <[email-masked]>

This series enables recycling of the buffers allocated with the page_pool API.
The first two patches are just prerequisite to save space in a struct and
avoid recycling pages allocated with other API.
Patch 2 was based on a previous idea from Jonathan Lemon.

The third one is the real recycling, 4 fixes the compilation of __skb_frag_unref
users, and 5,6 enable the recycling on two drivers.

In the last two patches I reported the improvement I have with the series.

The recycling as is can't be used with drivers like mlx5 which do page split,
but this is documented in a comment.
In the future, a refcount can be used so to support mlx5 with no changes.

Ilias Apalodimas (2):
  page_pool: DMA handling and frame recycling via SKBs
  net: change users of __skb_frag_unref() and add an extra argument

Jesper Dangaard Brouer (1):
  xdp: reduce size of struct xdp_mem_info

Matteo Croce (3):
  mm: add a signature in struct page
  mvpp2: recycle buffers
  mvneta: recycle buffers

 .../chelsio/inline_crypto/ch_ktls/chcr_ktls.c |  2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvneta.c         |  4 +-
 .../net/ethernet/marvell/mvpp2/mvpp2_main.c   | 17 +++----
 drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/sky2.c           |  2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4/en_rx.c    |  2 +-
 include/linux/mm_types.h                      |  1 +
 include/linux/skbuff.h                        | 33 +++++++++++--
 include/net/page_pool.h                       | 15 ++++++
 include/net/xdp.h                             |  5 +-
 net/core/page_pool.c                          | 47 +++++++++++++++++++
 net/core/skbuff.c                             | 20 +++++++-
 net/core/xdp.c                                | 14 ++++--
 net/tls/tls_device.c                          |  2 +-
 13 files changed, 138 insertions(+), 26 deletions(-)

-- 
2.29.2