Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [V2 net-next] net: mvpp2: Add reserved port private flag configuration

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 15:41:29 +0000

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 03:28:51PM +0000, Stefan Chulski wrote:
> No XDP doesn't require this. One of the use cases of the port reservation feature is the Marvell User Space SDK (MUSDK) which its latest code is publicly available here:
> https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/musdk-marvell
> You can find example use case for this application here:
> http://wiki.macchiatobin.net/tiki-index.php?page=MUSDK+Introduction

I really, really hope that someone has thought this through:

  Packet Processor I/O Interface (PPIO)

   The MUSDK PPIO driver provides low-level network interface API for
   User-Space network drivers/applications. The PPIO infrastrcuture maps
   Marvell's Packet Processor (PPv2) configuration space and I/O descriptors
   space directly to user-space memory. This allows user-space
   driver/application to directly process the packet processor I/O rings from
   user space, without any overhead of a copy operation.

I realy, really hope that you are not exposing the I/O descriptors to
userspace, allowing userspace to manipulate the physical addresses in
those descriptors, and that userspace is not dealing with physical
addresses.

If userspace has access to the I/O descriptors with physical addresses,
or userspace is dealing with physical addresses, then you can say
good bye to any kind of security on the platform. Essentially, in such
a scenario, the entire system memory becomes accessible to userspace,
which includes the kernel.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!