Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/40] Use ASCII subset instead of UTF-8 alternate symbols

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 16:18:25 +0200

Em Fri, 14 May 2021 12:08:36 +0100
Edward Cree <[email-masked]> escreveu:

> For anyone who doesn't know about it: X has this wonderful thing called
>  the Compose key[1].  For instance, type ⎄--- to get —, or ⎄<" for “.
> Much more mnemonic than Unicode codepoints; and you can extend it with
>  user-defined sequences in your ~/.XCompose file.

Good tip. I haven't use composite for years, as US-intl with dead keys is
enough for 99.999% of my needs. 

Btw, at least on Fedora with Mate, Composite is disabled by default. It has
to be enabled first using the same tool that allows changing the Keyboard
layout[1].

Yet, typing an EN DASH for example, would be "<composite>--.", with is 4
keystrokes instead of just two ('--'). It means twice the effort ;-)

[1] KDE, GNome, Mate, ... have different ways to enable it and to 
    select what key would be considered <composite>:

	https://dry.sailingissues.com/us-international-keyboard-layout.html
	https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComposeKey

Thanks,
Mauro