Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v9 04/15] of: mdio: Refactor of_phy_find_device()

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:35:46 +0100

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 02:30:19PM +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 2:28 PM Andy Shevchenko
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 1:54 PM Ioana Ciornei <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > >
> > > From: Calvin Johnson <[email-masked]>
> > >
> > > Refactor of_phy_find_device() to use fwnode_phy_find_device().
> >
> > I see that there are many users of this, but I think eventually we
> > should kill of_phy_find_device() completely.
> 
> Looking into other examples of such I think this series may not touch
> them right now, but clearly state that it's the plan in the future to
> kill this kind of OF APIs that call fwnode underneath.

That's something I most definitely support - once we have the fwnode
APIs in place, the OF specific APIs become an additional maintenance
burden that we don't need. So, I would also like to see the old APIs
killed.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!