Subject: Re: Maintainers / Kernel Summit 2021 planning kick-off

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:45:45 +0200

Em Fri, 18 Jun 2021 16:58:29 +0100
Mark Brown <[email-masked]> escreveu:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 10:32:14AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 16:28:02 +0200
> > Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]> wrote:  
> 
> > > What about letting people use the personal mic they're already
> > > carrying, i.e. a phone?  
> 
> > Interesting idea.  
> 
> > I wonder how well that would work in practice. Are all phones good
> > enough to prevent echo?  
> 
> Unless you get the latency for the WebRTC<->in room speaker down lower
> than I'd expect it to be I'd expect echo cancellation to have fun,
> though beam forming might reject a lot of in room noise including that -
> higher end modern phones are astonishingly good at this stuff.  I'd not
> trust it to work reliably for all attendees though, it's the sort of
> thing where you'll get lots of per device variation.

The local audience should be listening to the in-room audio, in order
to avoid echo. Also, all local mics should be muted, if someone is 
speaking from a remote location. 

Yet, echo is unavoidable if a remote participant is speaking while 
listening to the audio without headphones. If this ever happens, I
guess the moderator should cut the remote audio and ask the remote
participant to lower their speakers or use a headphone.

Thanks,
Mauro