Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] net: dpaa2-mac: add support for more ethtool 10G link modes

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 15:11:34 +0100

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 03:51:35PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 10:57:43AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > Phylink documentation says:
> >   Note that the PHY may be able to transform from one connection
> >   technology to another, so, eg, don't clear 1000BaseX just
> >   because the MAC is unable to BaseX mode. This is more about
> >   clearing unsupported speeds and duplex settings. The port modes
> >   should not be cleared; phylink_set_port_modes() will help with this.
> > 
> > So add the missing 10G modes.
> 
> Hi Russell
> 
> Would a phylink_set_10g(mask) helper make sense? As you say, it is
> about the speed, not the individual modes.

Yes, good point, and that will probably help avoid this in the future.
We can't do that for things like e.g. SGMII though, because 1000/half
isn't universally supported.

Shall we get this patch merged anyway and then clean it up - as such
a change will need to cover multiple drivers anyway?

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!