Subject: [PATCH net-next v5 0/4] remove compat_alloc_user_space()

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 16:24:32 +0200

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>

This is the fifth version of my series, now spanning four patches
instead of two, with a new approach for handling struct ifreq
compatibility after I realized that my earlier approach introduces
additional problems.

The idea here is to always push down the compat conversion
deeper into the call stack: rather than pretending to be
native mode with a modified copy of the original data on
the user space stack, have the code that actually works on
the data understand the difference between native and compat
versions.

I have spent a long time looking at all drivers that implement
an ndo_do_ioctl callback to verify that my assumptions are
correct. This has led to a series of 29 additional patches
that I am not including here but will post separately, fixing
a number of bugs in SIOCDEVPRIVATE ioctls, removing dead
code, and splitting ndo_do_ioctl into two new ndo callbacks
for private and ethernet specific commands.

The patches are largely identical to v4 that I sent last
November, with small fixes for issues pointed out by Jakub
and my own randconfig build bot.

      Arnd

Link: https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

Changes in v5:
 - Rebase to v5.14-rc2
 - Fix a few build issues

Changes in v4:
 - build fix without CONFIG_INET
 - build fix without CONFIG_COMPAT
 - style fixes pointed out by hch

Changes in v3:
 - complete rewrite of the series

Arnd Bergmann (4):
  ethtool: improve compat ioctl handling
  net: socket: rework SIOC?IFMAP ioctls
  net: socket: simplify dev_ifconf handling
  net: socket: rework compat_ifreq_ioctl()

 include/linux/compat.h     |  82 +++++------
 include/linux/ethtool.h    |   4 -
 include/linux/inetdevice.h |   9 ++
 include/linux/netdevice.h  |  12 +-
 net/appletalk/ddp.c        |   4 +-
 net/core/dev_ioctl.c       | 152 ++++++++++---------
 net/ethtool/ioctl.c        | 136 +++++++++++++++--
 net/ieee802154/socket.c    |   4 +-
 net/ipv4/af_inet.c         |   6 +-
 net/ipv4/devinet.c         |   4 +-
 net/qrtr/qrtr.c            |   4 +-
 net/socket.c               | 292 +++++++++----------------------------
 12 files changed, 333 insertions(+), 376 deletions(-)

-- 
2.29.2