Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 5/5] igc: Export LEDs

From: Marek Behún <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 15:55:10 +0200

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 03:57:13 +0200
Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > The last time we discussed this (Andrew, Pavel and I), we've decided
> > that for ethernet PHY controlled LEDs we want the devicename part
> > should be something like
> >    phyN  or  ethphyN  or  ethernet-phyN
> > with N a number unique for every PHY (a simple atomically increased
> > integer for every ethernet PHY).  
> 
> We might want to rethink this. PHYs typically have 2 or 3 LEDs. So we
> want a way to indicate which LED of a PHY it is. So i suspect we will
> want something like
> 
> ethphyN-led0, ethphyN-led1, ethphyN-led2.

But... there is still color and function and possibly function-numerator
to differentiate them. I was talking only about the devicename part. So
for three LEDs you can have, for example:
  ethphyN:green:link
  ethphyN:yellow:activity
Even if you don't have information about color, the default function
(on chip reset) should be different. And even if it is not, the
function enumerator would fix this:
  ethphyN::link-1
  ethphyN::link-2

Marek