Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: phy: leds: Trigger leds only if PHY speed is known

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:16:33 +0100

On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 11:33:10AM +0300, Ivan T. Ivanov wrote:
> I have sent new patch[1] which I think is proper fix for this.
> 
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/T/#u

Thanks.

I haven't reviewed the driver, but the patch itself LGTM from the
point of view that phy_read_status() should definitely only be
called with phydev->lock held.

I think we also need the "Doing it all yourself" section in
Documentation/networking/phy.rst fixed to specify that if you
call this function, you must be holding phydev->lock.

Lastly, I'm wondering how many other places call phy_read_status()
without holding phydev->lock - sounds like something that needs a
kernel-wide review, and then possibly we should introduce a lockdep
check for this in phy_read_status() to catch any new introductions.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!